Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 11:42:02 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        trager@wrair-emh1.army.mil
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stupid Compatibility questions

(Not stupid questions at all...)

trager@wrair-emh1.army.mil stands accused of saying:

> 1.      I want to install it on a Pentium with an Enhanced IDE controller,
>         three Conner 1.2GB EIDE drives, and an IDE CD-ROM drive.  Will your
>         operating system be able to use all three hard drives and the
>         CD-ROM?  Additionally, will you OS support hard drive partitions
>         above 500 MB?

Yes, except perhaps the IDE CDrom.  Without knowing which model and how it's
been configured, it's not possible to be certain.  Even then, I personally
wouldn't be able to help you, but there are a number of people who have
more experience in that field.

> 2.      I have been told I can only install a new OS on one of the division
>         machines if it can exist simultaneously with the copy of Windows95
>         currently on the machine (I HATE Windows95).  This way other people
>         in the division will still be able to use the machine and it won't
>         be 'wasted' on the Unix OS.  Is there a tool similiar to the OS/2
>         boot manager for your operating system that will allow both
>         both operating systems to exist on the same machine?  If so, will
>         the Windows partitions still be visible to the FreeBSD OS when
>         running FreeBSD and vice versa?  The different operating systems
>         do not have to be on the same partition.

FreeBSD and W95 will coexist fine, and FreeBSD comes with a boot manager
that will do what you want.

FreeBSD will be able to read and write the W95 partition, but W95 doesn't
(yet) support the BSD filesystem.

> 3.      I know your OS supports TCP/IP.  Does it also support Novell Netware
>         and/or the Windows for Workgroups protocol?

There are a number of issues here.  The Netware protocol (IPX) can be
routed, however no Netware services can be provided or utilised.
Given the extreme difficulty involved in implementing/using these
services, and their lack of direct applicability in the Unix
environment, there has been little incentive for development on this
front.

The "Windows for Workgroups protocol" is actually several components.
The file/print/authentication component, known as SMB, is supported in
a server capacity by the 'Samba' package.  Limited client
functionality is also provided.  The other half of the 'protocol' is
its network transport.  By default, WfW uses the (revolting) NetBEUI
protocol, which is not supported by FreeBSD.  WfW can also be
configured to use TCP/IP as a transport, which is required for
interoperation with Samba.

Hopefully this goes some way towards answering your questions.