Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 2008 05:29:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Roseman <david_5073@yahoo.com>
To:        Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sebastian_Tymk=F3w?= <sebastian.tymkow@gmail.com>, Marcello Barreto <marcello@linconet.com.br>
Subject:   Re: PF + ALTQ - Bandwidth per customer

Well, have you run tcpdump on a network with 200Mb/s? The function is=20
performed in the kernel, so its a lot more efficient than tcpdump.

The monitor sorts by usage, so you can see which connection, IP or MAC
is using the most traffic. When you're getting DOS attacked or have a worm
you can find your problems instantly. It doesn't show each packet; it=20
provides a listing of each connection, sorted from high to low usage. You
can also use rules as filters, so you can quickly create complex filters.

Turning tcpdump on a production shaper isn't an option.

David