Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 02:08:44 -0700
From:      Alan Batie <batie@rdrop.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4G shared disk

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

I just upgraded my Portege to a 4G disk.  I have it split in half, the
first 2G to WinDoze and second to 2G to FreeBSD.  I'm trying to install
the Aug 4 3.0 snapshot and FDISK, during the install, reports 993 cyl,
128 track, 63 head, for the disk, so it's all <1024, but the labeler
won't let me put a root filesystem in it.  The disk itself does say
7944/16/63, but even so I understand there's a utility that allows
booting to dos then loading freebsd from there.  It's hard to do if the
installer won't install though.  The FAQ and Handbook don't say very
much about this...  Suggestions?  I *really* don't want to put a dinky
partition at the beginning, aside from not liking dinky partitions, I
don't want to have to reinstall WinDoze yet again (and until FreeBSD
can run all WinDoze apps, it's got to be there).

--
Alan Batie                   ______    www.rdrop.com/users/batie     Me
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /    www.qrd.org         The Triangle

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q