Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 11:16:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Scott M. DePalma" <sdepalma@sirus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filespace allocation

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Scott M. DePalma wrote:

> I have installed fbsd 2.2.5 from floppies on my old 386. The master drive is
> 200 MB with a small DOS partition and the rest partitioned for fbsd. The
> second drive is 540 MB with a single fbsd partition.

Ok.

> In allocating space on the small drive, I used the automatic setting so that
> the system established the size of /, /var and swap. The rest (89 MB) was
> assigned to /usr. But as such I can't assign /usr to the larger drive. Or,
> if I do, the smaller drive is left with 89 MB of unused space.

The install program doesn't support splitting the partitions across disks.
Your best bet here is to move /usr to the new disk then modify /etc/fstab
to mount the second disk as /usr after installing.

You also might install without a separate /var partition since the auto
config will give you a pretty puny one.  Reallocate the space to /
instead.

On my 500MB disk I just used the Greg Lehey-patented `monolithic
filesystem' method -- some swap and one giant root.