Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 1996 09:47:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@sso.wdl.lmco.com>
To:        Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SecureID cards & userland ppp

Stephen;
  I anticipated the same problem by making a small change to the chat
program. I modified it so that any 'reply' string that started with a '$'
caused an environment lookup.

   312              if (*sp != '\0')
   313                  *sp++ = '\0';
   314
   315              /* RPT -- substitute an envronment variable if the string
   316                 starts with $, else send as is */
+  317              if (*arg=='$') {
+  318                  envP = getenv(&arg[1]);
+  319                  syslog(LOG_INFO, "chat substitute %s = %s",
arg,envP?envP:"NULL");
+  320                  arg = envP?envP:arg;
+  321              }
   322
   323              if (sendflg) {
   324                  chat_send (arg);
   325              }

Now I use a script around the command that that takes the expected
Secureid as an argument, puts it in th elocal environment and the starts
pppd. The chat script then passes that at the challenge.

On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Stephen Hocking wrote:

> My place of employment is now doing it's dialing via the SecureID stuff. For
> those who don't know, each persion is issued with a nifty little card & a PIN
> number. The card has a display on it that changes every 5 or so minutes. You
> dial in and are prompted for a user name. Upon entering this, you are prompted
> for a passcode, which is your PIN number concatenated with whatever the number
> is on the display of the card at that time. As you can imagine, this makes
> automating it rather difficult. One can't persuade it to prompt for user input
> partway through the login sequence. Any ideas (doing it all manually, via
> "term" works fine)?
>

> 	Stephen
> --
> The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation Board of
> Queensland, Australia.

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@sso.wdl.lmco.com    | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |