Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 16:33:12 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        pascal@netcom.com
Cc:        guido@iaehv.nl, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re:  question about dump

    Richard> If the filesystem is reasonably quesient (sp?) then you
    Richard> won't have any problems at all ( with the possible
    Richard> exception of /tmp and /var files ).

Not that I care too much about /{tmp,var} files, but what problems
could I expect?

    Richard> ( and this is a topic I'd like to see discussed more -
    Richard> disaster recovery procedures for FreeBSD, the making of
    Richard> standalone diskettes and the like )

Indeed.  I have several users, including myself, who have quite a bit
of development effort done on my system, but the best I can come up
with for recovery is to boot with the original FreeBSD boot floppy,
reinstall, cpio floppy, escape to shell, and then restore from tape.

It'd be nice if I could insert a floppy and then boot from it and into
a shell---or if space isn't permitting, boot the floppy and then
complete the boot from tape or CD-ROM, and then into a shell.

    Richard> ( Not that ft(1) doesn't do an excellent job ... just
    Richard> that it breaks the Unix paradigm, which dictates that
    Richard> devices should be accessible as files in the /dev
    Richard> directory, IE, /dev/rft0. )

Yes, ft is wrong, but I'm using SCSI DAT tape anyway.  Now, if we can
just get rid of st and use what's correct: mt!

--k