Date:      Tue, 28 May 2019 10:07:32 -0500
From:      Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
To:        Jason Bacon <bacon4000@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mac G5 X11 performance

On Tue, 28 May 2019 09:35:50 -0500
Jason Bacon <bacon4000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now that qt5-core is fixed, I was able to install x11/lumina.
>
> GUI performance is vastly better under Lumina than LXDE.
>
> It still snags fairly frequently when the system is under load, but
> most of the time it's perfectly fine.
>
> Still no GL support, but I can live with that.
>
> If I could just get a full-featured browser and email client working,
> I could actually sit at this machine for typical work.

I use claws-mail for my email client on my AmigaOne X5000, and it works
well enough.  Used it on my G5, too.  Otter-browser "works", but
crashes with large images and javascript (javascript can be disabled,
so I did, but large images can't really be worked around).  There's
been chatter to port qt5-webengine to big-endian Linux, and shouldn't
be hard to get on FreeBSD once that work is done.  Firefox needs a lot
of work as well.

- Justin