Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:05:33 +0300
From:      Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HP netserver E50 won't boot

We've got an HP netserver E50 with phoenix bios, Adaptec SCSI 2490
controller, IDE CDROM drive. We've installed FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE over the
'net. It's installed with a partition entry, and FreeBSD's default boot
manager, booteasy. However, after installation, booteasy runs, and gives a
prompt like:

FreeBSD.. F?

When we select F1, the OS doesn't boot, but instead the prompt is repeated.
After a while, we tried to use the OS-BS 1.35 bootmanager. On bootup, we
get the OS-BS boot prompt, and when we select '1' to boot FreeBSD, we
instead get an error message "no operating system".

We have been successfully able to boot the system using the boot floppy,
and specifying 0:da(0,a)kernel at the boot: prompt. So the OS has been
installed OK. It's just that it won't boot from the boot manager.

finally, we have even tried to install the OS using the "dangerously
dedicated" mode when doing the fdisk, but again, after the computer starts
up, it gives us the error message "read error". Again, we can start with
the boot floppy, and successfully boot with 0:da(0,a)kernel.

We know we can install a small DOS partition and boot off that, or even
start with a floppy disk everytime, but this is not what is ideal, since we
can't always be around to do that in case of power failure or something.
Does anyone have any experiences with this type of problem?

--
Anand