Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:25:04 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backup solutions

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 09:53:25AM -0800, f.johan.beisser wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Brett Glass wrote:
>=20
> > At 10:08 PM 4/4/2002, f.johan.beisser wrote:
> >
> > >my own preference is tape.
> > >
> > >tape..
> > >
> > >        1. tape transfers between machines, and usually OSs fairly wel=
l.

> > I've found that tape drives often do not read tapes written on other
> > drives reliably. The electrical, rather than mechanical, interface of
> > a hard drive eliminates that problem.
>=20
> this is a matter of having good hardware, i believe. i've had very few
> problems with Sony AIT and AIT2 tapes. older DLT-IV tapes seem to be
> somewhat inconsistent in quality. Newer Fujifilm DLTs have been very good
> to me.

It's certaintly true that early helical scan products were crap in this
department.  It's probably best to assume that there's a significant
chance that only a data recovery shop will be able to read a DDS1 tape
if the drive dies and it was from the DDS1 era.  That's not to say you
can't transfer data with them, but since the road to failure generally
starts with misaligned heads, tapes written at the end of a drives life
are often bad.  Having said that, modern helical scan devices are quite
solid and my Sony DDS3 drive has survived much more time and use then
the old HP DDS1s we used for backups in college.

-- Brooks

--=20

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--