Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:29:02 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Thomas Wintergerst <Thomas.Wintergerst@nord-com.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New version of CAPI for BSD for 5.x-RELEASE

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Thomas Wintergerst wrote:

Hi,

> I finally managed to create a working version of c4b for 5.0-RELEASE and
> 5.1-RELEASE.
..
> The integration into "current" will soon take place. Work is already
> underway and chances are good that c4b makes its way into 5.2-RELEASE.

for everybody who wants to try latest c4b-0.8 with HEAD I have prepared
two (entirely unsupported) patches:

1) an incremental diff for everyone previously ran getall.sh from
   c4b-0.8.

   You can find this diff at
   	http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/i4b/c4b-c4b-0.8-head.diff

   It includes some instructions on how to apply etc. at the top of
   the file.

   This patch is untested and I didn't use it myself but it helps to
   better see the changes from c4b-0.8 to 2). Maybe something is still
   missing.

2) [preferred]
   a complete patch of Thomas' c4b-0.8 sources and almost all patches
   plus 1).

   it doesn't include the endian diff needed from ~ 5.1R on.

   This diff (>6 MB) is at
	http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/patchset/ 021-c4b-0.8-HEAD.diff

   And you may also need
   	http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/patchset/ 002-sys-sys-endian.h.diff

   To save my and your bandwidth please get (~ 1.6 MB)
   	http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/patchset/patchset-2003092901.tbz
   and ignore the other patches included.

   assuming your HEAD lives in /usr/src you need to do:

   cd /usr/src
   patch -C -p1 < $pathto/021-c4b-0.8-HEAD.diff

   and if everything is ok do a:
   patch -p1 < $pathto/021-c4b-0.8-HEAD.diff

   (same for 002-sys-sys-endian.h.diff if needed)

building:

   Before starting you should consult Thomas' documentation from the
   c4b-0.8 tarball.

   After applying either 1) or 2) you should be able to do a complete
   in-source-tree build as you would do when updating, this means
   you should be able to do a build{kernel,world}, install{kernel,world}
   and run mergemaster.

   Please consult [1] for more information on how to do this

notes:

*  up to now I have only built kernel parts as modules and not linked
   into kernel. If someone tries this please let me know if it works.

*  both patches are - if at all - almost untested. Further more HEAD
   can be unstable at any time. So don't tell me I didn't warn you !

changes from c4b-0.8 release (what I remember):

* libcapi20 is C only (Thomas will do that too from what I know)
* build framework changes (Makefiles, bsd.libnames.mk, mtree, ...)
* fixes of two #include <assert.h> that were missing
* fixed #include <dev/pci/pcivar.h>
* struct cdevsw initialisation in C99 style
  (see UPDATING that nullopen()/nullclose() are gone)
* firmware uuencoded for distribution
* started NO_C4B for make.conf ; thus will only build for i386 at the
  moment