Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 17:56:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does de driver do 100MBIT Full Duplex?

> The "expectation" is that things that worked before will still work with a new
> release, and that there may be problems with new stuff. When there are
> problems with old stuff, you have a real perception problem with your product.
> There has been much talk about get publicity; getting  corporate users to
> use FreeBSD, but until you get to a point where loading a new release is much
> less than a crapshoot It's just not going to happen on a widespread basis.

It is quite explicit that 2.1.7 is the stable branch and 2.2 is
the experimental one. By choosing 2.2 you must know you are taking
some risks.

Unfortunately 2.2 has quite a few interesting features (such as
WORM support, better PCI support, more supported hw etc.); this
might be tempting for people and make them forget what is supposed
to be stable and what is not.

As for extensive testings: troubles often come out in a production
environment, not in quick tests done between ALPHA and BETA. And I (as
probably others) did not feel like putting a snap on a production
machine (with some exceptions; our web server is running a pre 2.0.5
version, but that was just a lucky experiment and the server did not
exist before).

So people who really want to help should IMHO move to 2.2 and test
the release as much as possible, so that the next one can have bugs
fixed.

	Luigi