Date:      Sat, 14 May 2022 13:30:25 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        michaelsprivate@gmail.com, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, boot environments and /dev

Michael Schuster <michaelsprivate_at_gmail.com> wrote on
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 21:40:56 +0200 :

> findings:
> 1) temporary activation doesn't work for me: bectl accepts the option
> but there's no effect I noticed(*), beadm refuses the option.
> . . .
> *) unless the first BE to be shown when I select 'boot environments'
> at boot isn't in fact the active one

Do not implicitly take control of what boots by that selection:
Instead just let it default through every stage, not looking
around first. Look after booting, not before.

I expect that you will find the temporary activation worked just
fine, as it always has for me: UEFI/ACPI booting of a ThreadRipper
1950X, for example.

After establishing the behavior for that, one can figure out how to
see what will boot at an earlier stage if needed (and if possible),
not that I've bothered.

What I have done on occasion is to deliberately select something
other than what I'd set as a temporary default when I changed my
mind for some reason after starting the reboot that would otherwise
have lead to the temporary activation's boot.

And, yes, temporary activation is specific to the newer bectl. As
I remember, that agrees with the documentation for them.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com