Date:      Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:20:17 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        George Reid <george.reid1@ntlworld.com>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, dave@jetcafe.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

I don't claim to have all the answers, but here are some of them...

George Reid wrote:
>    a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
>       pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors.
>       They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

Only if they call the cops.

>    d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and
>       female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A
>       friend of mine claims that this applies to the Welsh, but not
>       the Scottish. Can you clarify? Why can't I own a Welsh person?

You can.  You just have to purchase your Welsh person from a
neighboring nation.  This also avoids the normal sales tax, so
it's a good idea, all around.  I'd check eBay.

>    e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus
>       35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated
>       to kill him myself?

Yes.  The place where most people mess up is in not waiting until
after the Sabbath.  Monday is soon enough.  Definitely before
Thursday.

>    g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have
>       a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses.
>       Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Reading glasses are OK.  Mostly, the Lord doesn't like those
colored contact lenses.

>    h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
>       around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev
>       19:27. How should they die?

Quickly.

>    i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes
>       me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

No.  Unless you are from Texas.  See "transubstantiation".

-- Terry