Date:      Thu, 28 May 2015 13:39:35 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Jung <mikej@mikej.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-scsi <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /dev/ses<x> not created

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Michael Jung <mikej@mikej.com> wrote:
> On 2015-05-28 12:13, Alan Somers wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Michael Jung <mikej@mikej.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Alan,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the information.
>>>
>>> So SGPIO is out of band.
>>>
>>> So the intent of Marvel chip is not for in-band SES-2?
>>>
>>> I see these events, one for each LSI card in dmesg:
>>>
>>> mps1: EventReply        :
>>>         EventDataLength: 5
>>>         AckRequired: 0
>>>         Event: SasEnclDeviceStatusChange (0x1d) <----
>>>         EventContext: 0x0
>>>         EnclosureHandle: 0x1
>>>         ReasonCode: Added
>>>         PhysicalPort: 0
>>>         NumSlots: 8 <----
>>>         StartSlot: 0
>>>         PhyBits: 0x0
>>

>> Assuming you have IT firmware, those HBAs each have a builtin expander
>> with the same number of slots as the card has ports.  It's not a
>> separate chip; it's just part of the HBA controller.  That expander
>> does not have SES functionality, however.
>>

> Alan,
>
> Ok, I understand this event is for the expander on the HBA. Per your
> suggestion
> I opened a ticket with LSI this AM, and, when I get something definitive
> will post
> back.
>
> If there is a sound FAQ on I2c, SGPIO, SES/SES-2, cabling along with common
> problems and use cases I have not found it - I can dream though.

The wikipedia article on SGPIO is pretty good.  The SES article is
less good, but the SES3 standard isn't too hard to understand by
itself.  I2C is a very general purpose bus that has nothing to do with
storage.  I didn't think there was any kind of standard for reporting
SES-like information over I2C, but Google suggests that there is.  I
can't find the standard though.  The SES2 and SES3 specs don't mention
I2C at all.  You might ask Alexander Motin (mav@).  He wrote ses(4)
and if anybody knows anything about SES over I2C, it would be him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGPIO

-Alan