Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:13:41 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI support

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:55:22AM +0200, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> > Question came up whether FreeBSD supports ATAPI. I thought so
> > it came with the introduction of the ata drivers. I may be wrong.
> > I just got stuck when reading a note about OSs that support ATAPI
> > and FreeBSD was listed as NO.
> >
> > (it's in the vein of CD writers and ATAPI).
>
> *sigh*
>
> We support ATAPI devices and has been for a long time (also CD burners)...

I believe I forgot to do a group reply on my previous reply
to Søren.

OK, it seems a misunderstanding of the term ATAPI.
The author of cdrecord, Joerg Schilling, told me - I will translate:

Citation:

"You havn't understood what ATAPI is!

ATAPI *is* SCSI over IDE transport. Thus a SCSI system has to have
a hostadapter driver for the IDE bus.

*All* OSs despite FreeBSD do that right. Under Linux unfortunately
it isn't the default."

End of citation --