Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:12:38 -0500
From:      "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Feature request: make ports resume download of truncated distfiles

Firstly, I apologize if this was discussed already. I tried searching
the mailing list archive and open PRs, but didn't see anything about
this topic.

If a port is interrupted with ^C during the fetch stage, it eats the
partial distfile. If the connection times out, it keeps it, warning of
truncation, but refuses to re-fetch (the file exists) or build (checksum
mismatch).

Interrupting a fetch on Gentoo Linux, on the other hand, Just Works(tm).

Although fetch(1) already supports the necessary features, adding
FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS="-Rr" to /etc/make.conf simply makes interrupting the
fetch behave like a timeout.

The problem is apparently with 'do-fetch' in bsd.port.mk: the condition
for fetch complete is the existence of an appropriate filename in
distfiles, based on the (invalid) assumption that the file will only be
there if completely fetched.

I will leave the discussion of a solution in the hands of those more
familiar with the design of the ports system than me.

--
..: Chad Daelhousen == cd9@buffalo.edu :.........: sig v3.1 :...
: Programming for 11 +/- 2 years (52.4 +/- 9.5% of a lifetime) :