Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:27:58 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>, Tim Robbins <tjr@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of netns - politically correct version

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > Is there a compelling reason for removing this working code to
> > > the Attic?
> >
> > Terry: will you please check your facts?  It takes around 30 seconds
> > to find out that it doesn't even compile.
>
> [ ... lots of trivial to fix warnings and errors ... ]
>

> Tell you what, I'll fix these and post a patch.  Will that make you
> guys happy?

Not really.  I'd like to see a relevant demonstration of it working with
another relevant networking system [that does NOT speak some other common
protocol such as IP or IPX] that shows that it is worth keeping this baggage
around.  No, I'm not interested in some DOS-2.11 floppy disks you have
had sitting untouched in a drawer for 10 years.

ie: Show that it is worth something to the project to keep it.

This was only revived last time because somebody promised to maintain it.
And as you can see, for the last 7 years it hasn't been missed.

The point wasn't that "it doesn't compile", rather "nobody gave a damn that
it didn't compile for 7 years".

Cheers,
-Peter