Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 16:33:00 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   popper causing headaches

Our email service, or more specifically, our pop3 service just died. We
have no idea what caused it, but the following error was displayed on
the console about 50+ times for different IP addresses as people tried
to check their email:

mail# popper[pid]: @(192.168.x.x): -ERR POP EOF received

This error has since ceased to produce itself, and things are back up
and running. This still bother's me though, partially because I don't
completely understand the error, and partially because I don't know what
exactly would have caused it, nor do I know how to stop it from occuring
again.
	Beyond these errors, there are others that have been appearing
all-along now, and I figure it's probably about time to do something
about them as well. The following error is produced in excess of 100+
times per minute:

<the date / time> mail popper[pid]: (v2.53) Unable to get canonical name
of client, err = 0

I am assuming this is due to the almost complete lack of reverse DNS
setup for our internal network, (the only reverse DNS we have is what's
neccessary for our mailserver/dns servers to function; none of the
client computers have reverse dns mappings). I'd rather stop popper from
checking canonical names than have to do reverse dns mappings if
possible, but I'm not even sure if that's the root of this problem.
	As I said, the second error doesn't really cause much grief, (unless
I'm actually on the console -at which point syslogd just becomes a great
annoyance); the system still functions, and everyone still gets their
email even though I get an error. I can (as I obviously have been) live
with it, but I'd rather not have to.
	If anyone out there has any ideas, or insight into these errors, and/or
their parent causes, I'd be happy to hear from you. We're using Qpopper
2.53, as obtained from the FreeBSD ports collection, running on a
FreeBSD 3.4 box. The box serves just short of 500 mailboxes internally,
(plus about 25 internet-accessable addresses, and three mailing lists),
accross two qualified domains, three local /24 subnets, and one small
subnet of real IP's.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com