Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:05:18 -0500
From:      William Bulley <web@umich.edu>
To:        Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libinput recognizies my keyboard, but not its arrow keys

According to Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de> on Mon, 01/29/24 at 15:38:

> It's always a bit hard to support remotely, hence my questions to be
> crystal clear what you tried.

You've been very clear and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

Too bad I can't buy you a beer!

> This is what I use in in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-myinput.conf:
>
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "libinput keyboard catchall"
>         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
>         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
>         Driver "libinput"
>         Option "XkbRules" "evdev"
> #       Option "Ignore" "on"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
>         MatchIsTouchpad "on"
>         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
>         Driver "libinput"
>         Option "MiddleEmulation" "on"
>         Option "DisableWhileTyping" "off"
> EndSection
>
> (the touchpad section is probably not what you need).
>
> So maybe - as a last "simple" solution, you could try:
>
>   setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout us
>
> in your .xinitrc and place 99-myinput.conf from above as the only
> xorg configuration in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Well I did both of those things, and, for some crazy reason it
worked!  My keyboard's arrow keys now work!!!

To be completely honest, I only altered the keyboard section of
the file in my /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ leaving the mouse
section and the graphics card "Device" section alone.

Here is the new "keyboard" section in my configuration file:

  Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "libinput keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "XkbRules" "evdev"
  EndSection

My understanding was the contents of the "Identifier" line
did not matter -- anything could be put there.  I had this:

   Identifier      "Keyboard0"

I have the MatchIsKeyboard line and the Driver line, so it
must be that the key (no pun intended) addition to that
section is that MatchDevicePath line.  Who knew?!?!?

Maybe the Option line is important, too, but that is
something I can check later.  You are a life saver!!!

I don't know how to thank you enough!!!  Thanks!  Thanks!

--
William Bulley
E-MAIL: web@umich.edu