Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:42:12 +0100
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Soeren Straarup <xride@x12.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Howto gonfig geom?

In message <20040202142814.Q20673-100000@x12.dk>, Soeren Straarup writes:

>Is it possible to do this:
>
>sysctl -b kern.geom.confdot > foo.dot
>cat foo.dot > /dev/geom.ctl
>
>With a possitive result?

No.

See the fdisk(8) or bsdlabel(8) programs for examples.

>In other words is it possible to write to geom.ctl in ascii?
>I have read that that is PHK's idea of configuring geom, but how is the
>real world?

the sysctls return a "state picture", ie, they describe the way things
are right now.

Configuration happens by telling what change to make ("add this",
"delete this", "change this"), not by giving a complete picture
("make it look like this").

>The reason for this question is that i have started to write a geom gui
>program to display the current status of geom and the version 42 should
>also be able to configuring geom via this gui.

This would happen by users clicking on things, maybe specifying extra
parameters and then shipping it down with a g_ctl() call.

We'll burn this bridge later :-)