Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 11:08:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Srinivasan Iyengar <iyengar@s3.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cannot boot freebsd

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Srinivasan Iyengar wrote:

> I have two disks on my machine. Both EIDE.

Are these connected to the same IDE controller or to separate channels?

> The first drive hd0 has
> Windows NT loaded on it using NTFS file system. This is a 1.7G drive. My
> second drive is 3.8G and I loaded FreeBSD on it. When I installed the
> boot manager, it correctly boots Windows NT when I select it, but when
> it tries to boot FreeBSD, it comes up with a message - "panic - cannot
> mount root - changing root device to wd1a ".

Either your disk is on the other IDE controller (thus probing as wd2) or
the installation failed.

You might try typing the following at the Boot: prompt:

1:wd(2,a)/kernel

This should direct FreeBSD in the right direction.  You'll have to type
this every time to get started unless you do the following:

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).

Hope this helps.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo