Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:56:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Inetd not-starting gotcha.

Just looked through the logs and found this:

----------------------------
revision 1.71
date: 2000/07/28 22:45:36;  author: eivind;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -4
Change the defaults for portmap, sendmail and inetd to be not running them.
Make sysinstall override this on install, so the effective behavioural
change for a newly installed system is null.  Overall, this makes a system
with an empty /etc/rc.conf not run any network services, and makes the
FreeBSD-provided network services that are running visible in /etc/rc.conf
(instead of making people look through /etc/defaults/rc.conf to find the
things they need to disable to secure the system.)

Reviewed by:    jhb
Discussed with: The usual cabal
----------------------------

So the original change went into -current on 7/28/2000, but I also found
this:

----------------------------
revision 1.53.2.53
date: 2002/04/15 00:44:14;  author: dougb;  state: Exp;  lines: +18 -18
MFC en masse. Several of the included changes are mine, however we've
gotten pretty far out of synch with -current over the last year or so,
this catches us up for everything that makes sense.

There are several whitespace only changes here. In an ideal world I
would have had time to seperate them out, however I did not. Most of
them are included to be consistent with -current, some of them are
"improvements" that happened while I was adding things back.

Of particular note:
/var/log/auth.log
/var/run and /var/spool cleanup in rc
Early and late rc.sysctl runs
New mailq/queurun support in daily scripts