Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:02:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@cksoft.de>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Who's saturating outbound link (Cisco 2620, IOS 12.1(1))

Hi,

On 13 Jan 2002, Chris Shenton wrote:

> An ISP I support has FreeBSD servers and a bunch of LAN- and
> ISDN-connected clients.  Its remote so I can't get to it physically.
>
> In the past couple days, the 256Kbps link has been totally saturated,
> MRTG tells me it's outbound traffic.   How can I determine which
> system is causing the traffic?
>
> I'm not a Cisco expert, but hoped "show ip accounting" would help, but
> it only appears to show me *inbound* traffic from all outside
> addresses to my internal addresses.  I need the opposite.  Is there
> some IOS command I'm just not clued into?

check that there is "ip accounting output-packets" on every interface
of the router. Especially the one towards your network and the one towards
the isp.

Then let the accounting accumulate for a while and dump it to a file.

If a single ip is causing you the traffic you will propably find it just
by sorting for the last column

	sort -n +4 < accountingdata | tail

or something of the sort should do the job.

Greetings
Christian

--
CK Software GmbH
Christian Kratzer,		Schwarzwaldstr. 31, 71131 Jettingen