Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:44:32 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, delphij@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: openldap-server-2.3.24: default loglevel and	/var/log/debug.log

--------------enig750A7B98F1D657442D62F3B0

Thierry Lacoste wrote:

> It seems that the default loglevel is set to 256; correct?
> Is this the default for openldap?
> I've been grepping through the sources but was unable
> to verify my hypothesis. How can I know the actual default loglevel?

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/slapdconfig.html#Configuration%20File=
%20Directives

Section 6.2.1.5:

   "Default:

      loglevel 256"

So, Correct, yes.  However that loglevel records the activity of the
server in about the same level of detail as you'ld hope to see from any
other network server.

> Because slapd is logging through local4 and /etc/syslog.conf contains
> *.=3Ddebug   /var/log/debug.log
> the file is growing rapidly.
>=20
> Are these defaults recommended for a production server?
> If not, what are the recommendations concerning slapd loglevel
> and/or syslog.conf configuration?

Having slapd write logs is certainly a good thing.  However it seems
that your only choice of how to log what slapd does is via syslog using
the LOG_LOCAL4 facility.  If the slapd logging is too voluminous and=20
clogging up files that should show other logs, you can tell syslog not
to include it.  Eg for your debug.log:

    !-slapd
    *.=3Ddebug               /var/log/debug.log

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Flat 3