Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:13:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Bogusz Jelinski <bogusz@lib.amu.edu.pl>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        francis yeung <fyeung@netific.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD NE2100 PCI Ethernet support

On 26 Sep 1996, Paul Richards wrote:

> bogusz@lib.amu.edu.pl writes:
> > >
> > I have been using a clone of this card (SVEC). It is recognized as
> > NE2000. It works.
>
> The SVEC can't be a clone of an NE2100 if it's being detected as a
> NE2000, they're totally different cards and use totally different
> drivers (NE2000 is the ed0 driver). They use different chipsets.

What can I say - in the manual my card is said to be AMD Lance NE2100
compatible. Also Linux recognizes my card as AMD Lance NE2100.

A few months ago I turned to FreeBSD (after having encountered problems with
routing and modems under Linux) and it has been working with the ed0 driver
since (during startup it claims to be NE2000). I have just installed another
operating system without changing the hardware. I do not remeber what kind
of chip is on my card.
But I am not puzzled by this. Hardware's behaviour can not always be
determined. Probably my SVEC is one of the "two-in-one" cards :-)
I will contact SVEC gurus on that matter.

Regards,

Bogusz