Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 20:00:15 -0500
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        Kan Cai <kcai@cs.ubc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ad-hoc wireless mode and ticks (fwd)

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 01:10:26PM -0800, Kan Cai wrote:

>   Feel a little confused with the ad-hoc mode set by "wicontrol -p 3", is
> it Lucent ad-hoc mode instead of the standard IEEE ad-hoc mode (IBSS).
>
>   After I use "-p 3" option, it cannot talk to Linux/Windows ad-hoc
> wireless station. But if I set it to "-p 4", it can do the job. However, I
> cannot find this option in wicontrol man page or anywhere. Could somebody
> explain me what's going on here?

Not that it makes a difference (yet), but wicontrol is deprecated and
(I think) is being removed sooner or later.  You should instead use
ifconfig to configure wireless interfaces.  To be honest, I'm not sure
how a new user is supposed to know that.  I only know this from watching
the mailing lists.

Maybe the wicontrol(8) man page should be updated?

Anyways, read through the wi(4) man page.  It will explain the various
modes and has some examples.  You might also want to look at the
ifconfig(8) man page for a listing of available options to configure
devices with.

>   Moreover, could somebody give me a hint what is the corresponding
> function in FreeBSD like "rdtscl" function in Linux, which returns me the
> cpu ticks elapsed?

Sorry, I'm not sure.  Maybe getrusage() is what you're looking for?

Hope this helps.