Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:20:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        casper@mail.web.am
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug in ultp ? (amd64 + HP 1020 printer)

In message: <44DF684D.4090201@mail.web.am>
            Gaspar Chilingarov <casper@mail.web.am> writes:
: Hello all!
:
: I'm running latest -current (Aug 13) on AMD64 and got the following
: problem -- HP 1020 printer does not respond at all to the commands.
: At first  -- the firmwre should be loaded there (on attch) and then
: image data to be output on the printed (I've converted it from ps with
: gs and foo2zjs).
:
: In linux (Ubuntu) on the same hardware I've succeeded to boot system,
: run
: cat firmware > /dev/usblp0
: cat testpage > /dev/usblp0
:
: and it worked. I've also ensured that no initializations scripts for
: printer are run on startup. Both commands work without any delays.
:
: on freebsd first command -- cat firmvare > /dev/ulpt0 just hangs and a
: little bit later in syslog i can see
:  kernel: ulpt0: offline
:
: I've tried compiling kernel with and without ehci -- it does not affect
: anything. Now I have kernel compiled with debugging, but usb stack
: prints too much log data - so if someone is interesed - just please let
: me know with which log level and with which options I should try to
: connect printer and send there a data.

There used to be a bug where we'd wait for the printer to come
online.  Now we just print the offline message.

Can you tell me what state the cat process is in (using top) when it
hangs?

Warner