Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 18:00:34 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Disabling harmful keys (was: Re: PATCH: syscons.c sysctl for PC-Reboo Keys)

>I really like this, however I think that the sysctl section is
>a bit too complicated, even though it's somewhat gross it would
>make sense to have:
>
>machdep.enable_harmful_keys
>
>where the user can choose to assign 0xff to enable all, or leave it
>at zero to leave them all disabled.
>
>In fact if you're up to the work, you could make several sysctl_proc
>nodes for each 'harmful' key such that it updates the bitmask
>'machdep.enable_harmful_keys' when set.
>
>kern.console.keymap.enable_reboot
>kern.console.keymap.enable_ddb

My intention was that we shall not have too many sysctl variables and
kernel options.

In order to present friendly interface to this sysctl variable, we can
have a variable in /etc/rc.conf,

disable_harmful_keys="reboot halt powerdown panic"
(or enable_harmful_keys="debug")

and a script in /etc/rc.syscons to process it.

We can also add new options to kbdcontrol.

kbdcontrol -E debug
kbdcontrol -D reboot -D halt -D powerdown -D panic
(or kbdcontrol -D "reboot halt powerdown panic")

>etc.  Oh, why put it under 'machdep'?  It may be machine dependant
>which keys are used however the result is them same, hence the
>'kern.console' or maybe even just a new sysctl subtree 'console'?

I thought device driver related variables are under `machdep', aren't
they?  Also note that they key actions are for syscons, not for pcvt.

Oh, well.  Looking at `sysclt -a' now, we don't appear to be following
strict rules...

I like "kern.console".

Kazu