Date:      Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:10:42 -0000
From:      des@des.no (=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>, freebsd-www@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's Visual Identity: Outdated?

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org> writes:
> On 2004-12-23 23:02, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
> > Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > > 2. I cringe when I see Times New Roman, again redo the whole site
> > > with a modern web font: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Etc. (ever here of
> > > Cascading Style Sheets?)
> > CSS? Isnt that a bit outdated? Isnt that more a Windows thing?
> Actually, no.  Nikolas is right here.  The sans serif fonts look much
> better and are more readable on the monitor.  Times looks better on
> paper.

Times New Roman was designed for a single purpose: to remain readable
even when smudged or printed on low-quality paper.  It does not really
look good on any medium, but it's less bad than most other fonts on
newsprint.

Responding to Chris: CSS is neither outdated nor a Windows thing.  You
apparently need to get an extra clue or two before you rejoin this
discussion.

Responding to Nikolas: Arial and Verdana are Windows fonts which is
not necessarily installed on www.freebsd.org's readers' machines
(though it is available in ports).  Conversely, Helvetica is generally
not available in Windows.  CSS defines 'sans-serif' as a generic alias
for whichever sans-serif font looks best on each particular platform
(it maps to Arial in Windows, and Helvetica or similar in X);
likewise, it defines 'serif' as a generic alias for serif fonts (it
maps to Times New Roman in Windows, and a variety of Roman fonts in X
depending on the browser and on what fonts are available).

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no