Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:17:15 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        =?windows-1252?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ar and ranlib -D

On Apr 10, 2014, at 9:22 AM, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 10 April 2014 11:06, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no> wrote:
>> The attached patch adds -D to ARFLAGS and introduces RANLIBFLAGS =
which
>> defaults to -D.  This ensures that all timestamps inside static
>> libraries in the base system are hardcoded to 0 (aka the epoch), =
which
>> is a huge step towards fully reproducible builds.  Any objections?
>=20
> Looks good to me, I'm not sure why this didn't happen long ago.

Once upon a time, ranlib didn=92t like this too well and complained that
the index was older than the file. Then it was made a special case. =
These
days (and these days includes time since ~1995 or 2000), people
always rebuild the entire .a anyway, so the value of having a timestamp
in there is low, at best, so always doing this has become so boring
that i=92m surprised this isn=92t the default behavior. Given that we =
always
rebuild, though, this change is totally safe.

Warner