Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 2016 13:35:30 +0000
From:      Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups@NTLWorld.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: syslogd(8) with OOM Killer protection

Torsten Zuehlsdorff:

 > I would like a generalized way too. The first i thought to protect is
my database. I never want to get it killed.

You might enjoy this view on OOM Killers, then:

* http://thoughts.davisjeff.com/2009/11/29/linux-oom-killer/

A widely circulated postgresql.service unit for systemd gained this a
couple of years later:

 > # Due to PostgreSQL's use of shared memory, OOM killer is often
overzealous in

 > # killing Postgres, so adjust it downward

 > OOMScoreAdjust=-200

Discounting 200 permil of a process' memory use, when the known problem
is that that process shares a lot of its memory with its children, seems
slightly conservative.