Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:52:45 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Jin Guojun <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which is a better  GigB network adapter supported in FreeBSD

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 15:12:05 -0700, Jin Guojun wrote:
> I see two group of GigB network NIC listed in supported hardware.
>
> (1)
> Alteon Networks PCI gigabit ethernet NICs based on the Tigon 1 and Tigon 2
> chipsets including the
> Alteon AceNIC (Tigon 1 and 2),
> 3Com 3c985-SX (Tigon 1 and 2),
> Netgear GA620 (Tigon 2),
> Silicon Graphics Gigabit Ethernet,
> DEC/Compaq EtherWORKS 1000, NEC Gigabit Ethernet
>
> (2)
> SysKonnect SK-984x PCI gigabit ethernet cards including
> the SK-9841 1000baseLX (single mode fiber, single port),
> the SK-9842 1000baseSX (multimode fiber, single port),
> the SK-9843 1000baseLX (single mode fiber, dual port),
> and the SK-9844 1000baseSX (multimode fiber, dual port).
>
> I heard from people, who use them under Linux, said that SysKonnect has
> better performance (20% higher) than Alteon, but price is high ($700 : $250).

I find that hard to believe.  I have personally gotten 800Mbps performance
from an Alteon board on Pentium II 450's.  Drew Gallatin has gotten almost
a gigabit out of them (988Mbps, I think).

There's not much room for 20% better performance there.

One thing you have to be careful about is that there are two big measures
that people use for performance in high speed networking -- latency and
bandwidth.  My main interest is bandiwdth.

People who are into clustering get more excited about low latency.  The
SysKonnect boards may well have lower latency, I don't know.

In any case, IIRC, with the SysKonnect board, you've got a choice between
jumbo frames and checksum offloading -- you can't do both at the same time.

I believe the current sk(4) driver chooses jumbo frames over checksum
offloading.  You might talk to Bill Paul for confirmation on the jumbo
frames/checksum offloading tradeoff.

With the Alteon boards, you can have both jumbo frames and checksum
offloading.

> Just by look at the list, I think I will buy some of following NICs
> and would like to get information on these NIC:
>
> Alteon AceNIC (Tigon 1 and 2), 3Com 3c985-SX (Tigon 1 and 2), and
> Netgear GA620 (Tigon 2) from group 1,
>
> and/or
>
> SK-9842 1000baseSX (multimode fiber, single port) and
> the SK-9844 1000baseSX (multimode fiber, dual port) from group 2.
>
> If people have used any some of these adapters can drop me the info.
> about how reliable these NICs are, how is the performance and price ratio,
> and what are the maximum MTUs they support, it will be appreciated.

I have 12+ FreeBSD machines with 1MB Alteon ACEnics, and I would highly
recommend Alteon based boards.  I would recommend getting a Tigon 2 board
over a Tigon 1 board.

It would probably be hard to get a Tigon 1 board now anyway.  You can buy
the boards straight from Alteon, but it will probably be cheaper to get the
Netgear or 3Com versions.

The Netgear boards have 512K SRAM, the 3Com boards have 1MB SRAM, thus the
price difference between the two.  If you get a 3Com board, you'll want the
3c985B, the 'B' being the important part, since I think that indicates the
Tigon 2 version of the board.

As far as reliability, I haven't run into a bad card yet.

One thing to watch out for with the Netgear boards, if you're going to use
them under Windows, is that Netgear's Windows driver doesn't support jumbo
frames.  That's probably just a marketing gimmick, but the boards support
jumbo frames just fine under FreeBSD.

If you're interested in jumbo frames (you really need jumbo frames to get
decent bandwidth), you should be careful about what switch you buy.  The
Alteon switches all support jumbo frames, but many other switch vendors
don't support jumbo frames.

I think Cisco supports jumbo frames on one or more of their high end
Catalyst switches, but IIRC you can do VLANs or jumbo frames, but not both
at the same time.

One interesting thing about the Catalyst (at least the spec sheet I looked
at on Cisco's web site), is that they support up to 10240 byte frames, not
just the standard 9000 byte jumbo frame.  (The maximum MTU is
configurable.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry