Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:11:11 +0200
From:      "Morten Seeberg" <morten@seeberg.dk>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: samba/FreeBSD

>NBP was not engineered to run over the wide Internet.  Samba supports
>NetBIOS over TCP, so it can be done, but:

Basicly it should be possibly just by using Sambas LMHOST file, which is
the same used in the Wonderfull (cough cough) world of Microsoft :)

I´ve never done this with SAMBA, but I have done it with WinNT.

The LMHOSTS file is an advanced HOSTS file, which lets you define
on what IP address you Domain server resides
eks from NT (must be the same on Samba):

195.xxx.xxx.10     samba      #DOM:domain_name

Be sure to check this with the man pages or help pages for samba.

>2)  You must have a WINS server running so the remote system can translate
>the NetBIOS name to a IP name.  I don't know of any WINS servers for UNIX,
>not to say they don't exist.

The SAMBA suite also contains a WINS server.