Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:48:21 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Julian Stacey <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>, jobs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing my focus

Julian Stacey wrote:

> > If you think you have something to offer in this respect, even if it's
> > a good suggestion, pointer or an alternative I have overlooked, let me
> > know. Anything not completely ridiculous helps...
>
> The X-Windows Consortium used to fund some X work I think.  By
> analogy maybe there's now enough corporate use of BSD to start
> something similar for BSD ?  Some work like ia64/gcc presumably
> could be sponsored by an All-BSD Consortium/ Foundation if one were
> to be formed.
>
> I've no idea about the ia64, but if it happens to use resilient
> gold flashed steel pin connectors (VME style), & not cheap gold
> flashed PCB edge connectors like Intel/AMD based ISA/PCI/EISA boards,
> then maybe some companies manufacturing reliable hardware might be
> interested. There have been some big users & big budgets mentioned
> in last 6 months, ask [first name forgoten] Watson re Trusted BSD etc?

Daemon News is interested in sponsoring work like this.  We have a
pet contract management office available to us so you could become a
regular employee with salary and benefits if you wish.  I'm not sure of
our contract managers experience in contracting outside North America, I
know he has managed contracts from Canada, USA contracts with Canadian
workers, and at least one contract in Mexico with a USA worker.  Welcome
to the United States of NAFTA.

We have been quite unsuccessful at finding any such contracts; in the
current (USA) economy the number of companies looking to do basic FreeBSD
infrastructure development work can be counted on the fingers of your left
foot.

I believe FreeBSD Mall is also interested in such work, but solely on
FreeBSD.  Not a problem for Marcel, of course.