Date:      Wed, 18 May 2022 14:45:18 +0200
From:      Michael Schuster <michaelsprivate@gmail.com>
To:        Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, boot environments and /dev
References:  <CADqw_g%2BUa8oc-cPm6N3ah1Ey1v-nfNk881O2Vp9TquhBcjDj_g@mail.gmail.com> <CAHMcx4PKQzxOCo2GPa7gR544OK7GQrhfbwQ4A8BBQPCteQXKTA@mail.gmail.com> <CADqw_gKY8vUwxX5LzEkhVtv1VggZtPJ10Zt_M8-jbymT0miimg@mail.gmail.com> <481e0739-bdc4-4ce6-a856-a80cf5294d03@www.fastmail.com> <CADqw_gJGGeQRvaUEBiCY_ScrrW8=ORtktRvF2nt7egAbrYhTTw@mail.gmail.com> <5fff8840-6f1e-4edd-8ddf-2728227c8818@www.fastmail.com> <CADqw_gKemEWYBuaKk3_-cO77=a5bgmyUAZbaQwAJsUXJWzVRhg@mail.gmail.com> <3bcf856c-c048-4b4d-adfc-c6ba352e3b20@www.fastmail.com> <CADqw_gJzymfY59EYLomMuH2sUkZ1YC%2B=RzWqSSqwNWGox1HF8g@mail.gmail.com>

On Sat, May 14, 2022, 21:40 Michael Schuster <michaelsprivate@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 9:21 AM Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at> wrote:

> > > Hi Dave,
> > > thx for your perseverance :-)
> > >
> > > I have (at least) one question for you before I attempt this:
> > > where do I get these .txz files?
> >
> > https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/14.0-CURRENT/
> > https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/amd64/amd64/13.1-RC6/
> >
> > > should devfs be in /etc/fstab? in my current BE, it isn't ...
> >
> > this is the bare minimum I used. NB my partitions have artisanal
> > GPT labels, yours will probably be different.
> >
> > # Device                Mountpoint              FStype          Options                         Dump    Pass#
> > #/dev/gpt/swap0         none                    swap            sw                              0       0
> > /dev/gpt/efiboot        /boot/efi               msdosfs         rw,late,longnames               0       0
> > tmpfs                   /tmp                    tmpfs           rw,mode=01777,size=120g         0       0
> >
> > thats all I needed to boot to userland & login. I'm reasonably sure that,
> > assuming you have a default zfs install, you'd not need anything in /etc/fstab
> > to boot.
> >
> > > if so: do you have an example of such a line? In the instances I looked
> > > up, I wasn't quite able to make it work (but perhaps that's a dead end
> > > anyway).

> > > does that ("activate -t") work on UEFI systems? The last time I used it
> > > (at least a year ago), it wasn't.
> >
> > Yes it does here. failing that just use `bectl activate`. The -t is
> > a very nice addition.
> >
> > Well, we're definitely on the FreeBSD-current email list here, so it's
> > definitely in CURRENT, and 13.1 RC.
>
> Dave, all:
>
> findings:
> 1) temporary activation doesn't work for me: bectl accepts the option
> but there's no effect I noticed(*), beadm refuses the option.

update (answered in a different thread, but to keep this here too):
temporary activation does in fact work, it's not reflected in the list
of BEs presented at the boot menu

I'm still working on a "full" installation of what I have on the
running BE into the new one ("vanilla") - if you have any ideas, I
welcome them :-)

thx
Michael