Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:17:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Frank Drebin <frank@mini.huckbone.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   diskless boot/pxeboot timing problems?

I'm trying to setup some diskless machines that will boot
off of a 4.6-STABLE (as of 5 Aug.) server.  I've followed
the instructions in the handbook and done what is listed
in clone_root.  The diskless machine can find the server
machine and pxeboot and starts the boot process.

However, the boot hangs before getting to the kernel (or
just after - it's not consistent).  The last thing I usually
see on the screen is this (edited for length):

pxe_boot: server addr: 192.168.200.55
pxe_boot: server path: /local/diskless
pxe_boot: gateway ip: 192.168.200.55
/
int=00000006   err=00000000...
cs:eip=ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff-ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
BTX halted

Obviously, the cs:iep is an ominous sign.

The spot where the process hangs will vary slightly depending
on the phase of the moon and other such variables.

The thing that leads me to a timing issue is that everything
works when I enable debugging in (/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/)
pxe.c and then copy the newly built pxeboot to my tftp directory.
That apparently slows things down enough that it all works.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  I'd rather not have to deal
with all the debug messages just to get the thing to work.

Thanks

Frank

ps Both machines are fairly generic P4/1.5GHz with Intel 10/100
cards.