Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 17:08:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pcisupport.c

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

> It is actually true that FreeBSD becomes Linux.

It is truely unfortunate that it comes to this..
however it has always been to me a source of great frustration to me that
Linus was able to implement a driver framework that allows a very dynamic

FreeBSD is designing the next logical step beyond this.

Config.new is a stepping stone in an evolution. In our case we have pretty
much all decided that the 'goal' for this next phase of evolution is
the complete dynamic configuration of the kernel.

The old "BSD way" was simply a step in the evolutionary chain.
There is nothing inherrently 'right' about it. It reflects the limitations
of the technology at that time. config.new did not change the
level of the technology, but rather, re-arrange it a bit.

The newconfig crew have made improvements to config.new to better support
dynamic loading, but after a lot of discussions
(face to face in many cases) the statements have been agreed by nearly all
the FreeBSD people involved.

1/ a module that is pre-loaded should be treated the same as one that is
'post' loaded as much as possble.

2/ A module should not rely on any prior knowledge of it's existance
to function correctly.

3/ A module should be able to supply it's own default configuration
information, and also be able to access additional information
that may be availabel at load time.

4/ The loadable module may implement an entirely new class of
modules (e.g. a new bus type) of which there was no previous knowledge.

5/(not agreed by all) In a perfect world, /dev/ entries would reflect
reality, and the sysctl name space would also do so.

6/ all the usual desirable aspects of loadable modules (e.g.
unloadability) apply.