Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 19:10:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Walth <walth@www.rams.cc.mn.us>
To:        freeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with Exabyte 8700 and AHA 2940UW

Hello,

  I have a bit of a problem here..  I just set up a machine running
FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE.  It is a pentium 133 with an adaptec 2940UW
controller in it.  I am running a single 4 Gig SCSI ultra wide srive
internally and an Exabyte 8700 8mm tape externaly.

  There are 2 main problems..

  1)  The drive keeps ejecting the tape.  You put it back in 4 - 5 times
then it will stay down until you do something with the drive.  If you
rewind the tape, write a header, or do a dump to the drive, when it is
done it will eject the tape and you have to fight to get it to close.

  We are using the 112m Exabyte tape that came with the drive.

  Any ideas?

  2) When I tar files to the drive things work fine.  When I try to do a
dump of the filesystem using amanda it locks the system up solid.  I can
ping and telnet to it, but I never get a login prompt.

  Any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance for you help..

  Chris Walth

  walth@www.an.cc.mn.us