Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:00:54 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za (John Hay)
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Some doscmd keyboard fixes

John Hay stands accused of saying:

> I tried doscmd this weekend for the first time and I am amazed. It is
> already very usefull. I have a 84-key keyboard, so I make use of the
> arrows etc. on the keypad. This did not work. I will attach fixes
> for that. With those fixes I could get the Topspeed C compiler to
> work (I use it for 80188 embedded code). Now if I can get my EPROM
> programmer to work, I don't need to go to DOS anymore. :-)

Hey, great!

> What are the issues involved to access certain ports directly? For
> example to get my EPROM programmer to work.

At the moment, I/O port access is disabled.  BSD/OS (where the code
came from) has a mechanism for allowing only certain ports to be
accessed by a program.  There are a couple of options you can
try here :

Grab the latest pcemu (ftp://gsoft.com.au/pub/pcemu) prerelease, which
supports I/O port access.  You'll have to run it as root, and it's lots
slower than doscmd.  We use that here for running our EPROM programmer.

Alternatively, have a look at the source in port.c for doscmd, and
arrange for it to open /dev/io if running as root and allow inb/outb
port access.

Note that this can crash your machine pretty badly; you might want to
change the MINPORT define from 0x000 to 0x100 to give some protection.

> Is there kernel patches for -current somewhere? My machine at home
> is running -current and I would really like to play with it there.

AFAIK, the patches should apply to -current prettymuch directly.

> Will the vm86 kernel code and doscmd make it into the FreeBSD source
> tree? I think it is very usefull and would be glad if it can get
> into -current and even in 2.2.x later.

Yes, I would expect it to get into -current fairly soon, modulo my
or Sean or Jonathan's time.  2.2 is a bit up in the air.