Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 18:50:28 -0700
From:      pete@kesa26.Kesa.COM (Pete Delaney)
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com
Cc:        jbryant@argus.iadfw.net, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, pete@rahul.net, pete@kesa26.Kesa.COM
Subject:   Re: S.O.S -2.1Stable and ASUSP54TP4

Julian:

> since Seagate bought all those other places,
> and they have several design/build groups you have to be sure which group
> the drive came from..
>
> I BELIEVE that drives that come from what WAS the CDC disk section
> (did that go via Imprimis?) are ok..

Nice to know the CDC drives are ok; Thanks.

> HAWK sounds like it should come from that division..
> they always liked bird names..
> (e.g the 10MB HAWK drive, the 90MB Phoenix, etc...)
> (never saw a VULTURE drive but they'd have been a good one to
>  sell to government )

Perhaps they are desiged in Phoenix and manufactored in Singapore.
I think Quantum is moving some of it's manufactoring to Singapore.

The 4GB HAWK is very similar to the 4GB Barracuda. The HAWK is made
in Singapore and I believe the Barracuda is also. I've never thought
of Seagate as a good manufactor, I was surprised to hear that the
4GB Barracuda was a good drive. After I bought a 4GB HAWK the guys
at Auspex thought it was a better choice that the 4GB Micropolus.
The only difference that I know of between the two drives is that
the 4GB Barracuda has a slightly faster access time; 9ms as I recall.

Up to now I've had no problems with the 4GB Hawk, Time will tell.
It runs cool enough that you don't even need a fan in the SPARCStation-1
(or -2) pizza box.

-pete