Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:02:22 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Raw partition access rights

Hi all,

it just occured to me, maybe it's an idiocy, but it might work on
some boxes.  I did not try it on FreeBSD.

Assume there is a volume which is not mounted -nodev.
Assume I create a device node for a raw disk partition.
Assume that I give this node read and write permissions for me.
Assume that I have a hacked fsck which can change metadata for chosen
files on a partition it can read and write.  Metadata such as owner,
group, mode bits.

Since I have just created a device special file, I should be able to open
this raw partition for read and write.  I then let my fsck loose.  You are
screwed.

Tell me this is impossible.  Please :)

/Marino