Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 23:39:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Taylor <mtaylor@cybernet.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ps/2 mouse kinda works for Dell Latitude XP475 laptop

I'm having a little difficulty with the PS/2 (psm) mouse driver on my Dell
Latitude XP 475C laptop.  I've got FreeBSD 2.2-960801-SNAP installed, and
I've tried -current and -stable's psm.c drivers as well.

What I get is:
spiffy> cat /dev/psm0
cat: /dev/psm0: Resource temporarily unavailable
spiffy> ls -l /dev/*psm0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   21,   1 Sep 23 00:08 /dev/psm0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   21,   0 Sep 23 00:18 /dev/rpsm0    <--- this one I created
spiffy> cat /dev/rpsm0
[data generated when mouse moved]
spiffy> moused -f -d -p /dev/psm0 -t ps/2
moused: rodent is ps/2
moused: read retuned -1 : Resource temporarily unavailable exiting
spiffy> moused -f -d -p /dev/rpsm0 -t ps/2
moused: rodent is ps/2
moused: received char 0xfa
[move mouse generates data]

I was wondering if there is some problem with my mouse (actually, it is the
internal trackball)?  I've tried kernels with and without PSM_NO_RESET, and
it does not change a thing.

Are there any patches that I could try, so I could get the default mouse to
work (so I can get some warm fuzzies)?  Reading the device in non-blocking
mode kinda sucks up some time, esp. on this slower processor.

Thanks.

-Mark Taylor
Network Administrator
Cybernet Systems Corp.