Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 20:52:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@casidy.com>
Subject:   Re: Trying to install an SCSI Floptical drive

Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@casidy.com> wrote:

> da1 at sym0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
> da1: <INSITE I325VM        *F 0381> Removable Direct Access SCSI-CCS device
> da1: 3.300MB/s transfers
> da1: Attempt to query device size failed: MEDIUM ERROR, Track following error

That's a genuine hardware failure, you gotta fix that hardware.

Back in the days when those drives were new (they came built into the
SGI Indy), i tried to use one on FreeBSD (2.1.x probably, or maybe
even 1.1.5.1).  I never really succeeded.  But then, i remember that
these drives were *very* fragile wrt. dust.  In the Indy, they have
been built without the usual dust flap before the medium slot, so due
to the influx of air they regularly became totally unusable -- even
for handling normal floppy media -- after a week or so.

With the `enhanced' media, the idea was to implement an optical track
servo to increase the track density (on one side, the other side was
then used to actually record the data).  So if you were getting the
above with a 20 MB medium inserted, i wouldn't be surprised if it's
indeed too much dust on the optical sensing unit (where a `track
following error' as the result would make some sense).