Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 2016 23:49:05 +0100
From:      John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
Subject:   ports/pkg/OS integration 2.0

Royce wrote:
> It would be nice to be asked at the point of installing the system
> what kind of software management you want:
>
> [X] Install software from binary packages only
> [ ] Install software from ports only (compiling everything locally)
> [ ] Prefer packages, prompting me when default options change
> [ ] Prefer ports, but use packages if the port options are identical

I can't tell if you realize that Synth already does this.
well, not the first one because if a person used binary packages *only*
then Synth has nothing to do.

But there is definitely an option to use official FreeBSD packages
instead of building when they are "suitable" which includes identical
build options.

So anyway, this wish is already here.
John