Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:09:03 -0400
From:      Mark Bucciarelli <mark@gaiahost.coop>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS [was: geom - help ...]

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 12:46:20AM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> BTW. The volume manager from ZFS works already just fine, ie.
> one can configure UFS on top of RAID-Z for example, but I'm not
> going to bring it in before the entire port is ready.

I read about ZFS on wikipedia, this looks very good.

I would like to try and help with testing.  I have a box with six
drive bays and a bunch of SCSI drives at my disposal in my
office.

Anything in particular you would like tested?

I assume steps are something like:

    - install -CURRENT with debug kernel

    - (maybe??) pull code from your perforce branch

    - define slices as geom providers

    - put RAID-Z on top

    - try to break it:

        * run postmark from a number of consoles

        * remove drive, make sure array functions, then put back in
          and make sure array rebuilds properly

        * generate scsi disk errors somehow?

        * add a disk to increase capacity (if ZFS supports this)

I've not yet run -CURRENT so this is new territory for me.  Any
general guidelines would be welcome.

Also, is this the right list for this?