Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 17:54:50 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stable branch

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:

..snipped..
>    1.  A -SOLID or -BUGFIX branch sounds to me like a business
>        opportunity to me.
>
>    2.  I wonder about the feasibility of another tag on the -STABLE
>        branch that follows behind RELENG_4.  It may be easier to
>        identify the last-known-excellent point on -STABLE than to
>        maintain another branch.
>
> I should also note that I, personally, think that productions systems
> should run -RELEASE, plus locally applied hot-fixes.  Yes, I realize
> that many shops may not have the expertise to do this.  See (1).

I've to disagree with you.
I think that the errata should be maintained more aggressively, noting all
the bugfixes that may disturb a normal operation, and provide link to the
fixes as separate diff files.

Then, it's trivial task to write a perl (or even shell) script which will:
0) say that sources are needed if they're not there
1) download the latest errata
2) interactively ask about what fixes to apply
3) download relevant fixes
4) apply the fixes
5) rebuild what is needed to be rebuilt and instal
6) reboot if the kernel was modified (perhaps some flag must be set in
errata to trigger a reboot)

As I already said, there's no need for separate branch, it will make
merging even more difficult.
And btw, STABLE is *stable* most of the time :)

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]