Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 16:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gregory_D_Moncreaff@ccmail.ed.ray.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   2.1 netccitt [x.25/hd/pk/llc] fubar'd

hi,

I'm trying to work with the netccitt code,
specifically x.25 over hdlc/labp, that was
on the freeBSD 2.1 distribution.

As far as I can tell, whomever was working with
the llc code in 92-93 completely fubar'd the
interaction between pk and hd, and left netccitt
in a non working state

[lots of mismatched protocol lookup function
pointers, arguments, return values, etc]

Is there any earlier archived netccitt code,
vintage '91 or so, that might be in better shape
to be had??

I know that bsdi and freeBSD are near identical
with respect to netccitt in their 2.1 versions
(excepting the extra rtalloc param that bsdi has)
but what about the other bsd's
(net,open,386,etc)?

If anyone is working with 2.1 freeBSD or bsdi,
the problem I am currently stuck on is trying to
figure out how an hcp can be allocated to handle
incoming packets so that hdintr doesn't complain
about not finding a hcp on the hdcbhead list that
matches the receive ifp in the packet header.
The only allocation routine is called when
issuing a connect, which is for outgoing.  Trying
to issue connects in both directions crashes one
of the nodes in some vm routine and doesn't
produce a core file...

btw: I am running this over a SDL Riscom 8/SA
board whose driver was hacked from the
Cronyx-Sigma driver that came with 2.1 freeBSD
[both drivers use the same cl-cd2401 chips],
would it be a good thing to fold this into the
freebsd distribution (or at least get device
numbers assigned)?   Is any one else using this
board?

thanks,