Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:43:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Diego Baz <Diego_Baz@citysearch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another inquiry...

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Diego Baz wrote:

> Sorry to bother you again, but I was wondering: once I install and setup
> FreeBSD, what software do I use for:

> word processing?

Modern WP is available as:
Star Office, WordPerfect and Applixware, all are linux applications, but
all seem to run fine unders FreeBSD's linux emulator.

>  e-mail?

pine, netscape, emacs, elm... about 20-30 email cleints are probably
available... (see below)

> accounting?
hmmm, if you find anything let me know :)

> surfing the Web?
lynx, netscape

> Also, where would I get this software? I mean, do they sell this kind of
> thing at CompUSA or Best Buy? Or would I have to buy it off the Web?

you have to insert 5$ into your /usr/ports directory everytime you install
a package... (just kidding)

> Again, any information you could provide in reply would be tremendously
> appreciated.

somehow you seem to have missed the freebsd ports and packages collections
they have 1000s of programs available for you as pre-built programs
or you can watch them build yourself!

fire up /stand/sysinstall, go to

   x x c Configure    Do post-install configuration of FreeBSD           x x

then select:

  x x P Packages         Install pre-packaged software for FreeBSD        x x

that's simplest, or you can look at:

http://www2.freebsd.org/ports/

once you install the "ports collection" you can simply

cd /usr/ports/<catagory>/<program> ; make install

just 10 minutes ago i needed an email program so i:

cd /usr/ports/mail/pine4 ; make install

(don't make fun of pine, thanks :) )

have fun.

-Alfred