Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 1997 16:55:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Subject:   Re: ISDN drivers/cards

On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> Unfortunately, the ISDN landscape in the US is different from Europe.
> Your Telco's didn't even decide for a single switch protocol yet, nor
> do they market ISDN as *I*SDN.  In the result, you are left alone to

  NI-1 is standard.  I place the blame for non-NI-1 on the switch
manufactures.  DMS-100 is close, but not quite.  AT&T ISDN is just weird.

> buy your network terminator, leading to a situation where most ISDN
> hardware sold in the US AFAIK is being sold with a builtin NT (thereby
> defeating the idea of an integrated service, with voice and data
> connections over the same wire).  The cards currently supported by

  This seems to be a feature to me.  I also don't understand how including
the NT1 defeats the dual analog and digital use of ISDN.  I've used BRI
devices with an external NT1, and hated them, and I certainly don't see
how an external NT1 helps me get dual use.

   The 3COM Impact II, with integrated NT1, and dual POTS jacks is a much
better idea.

> BISDN do IMHO not ship with this feature (remember, these cards are in
> the region of DEM 100...150, i.e. USD 60...90 -- the NT itself is a
> multiple of this), nor has anybody volunteered yet to write the
> protocol layers for your switch protocols.

  Well, the 3COM Impact II is about $250 to $300 US.  It is external
serial device, but can handle up to 230400 bps on the serial port
(unfortunately, it doesn't seem that FreeBSD can do that).  It includes an
NT1, and two POTS jacks.  The POTS jacks have a programmable ringing
configuration (either not at all, for A, for B, or for both).  It can be
setup for call bumping, so it automatically bring down a channel when an
voice call is incoming.

> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

Tom